One day, one Big Bike and one BIG difference – Sinclair Technologies employees hopped onto a big bike with 29 riders in Aurora, Ontario and pedaled through the community to fundraise and raise awareness about critical heart disease and stroke research. There is regular cycling and then there is Big Bike, just riding a bicycle so large it takes around 30 people pedaling to move onward. Riding a bike this size is big fun, and at the same time requires big goals.
The Big Bike event is organized by the Heart and Stroke foundation every year, in multiple cities across Canada. The main goal of the event is to get more people to lead healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke and get people outside! For more than 60 years, Heart & Stroke has been dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke through research and propagation of a healthy lifestyle. Their work has saved thousands of lives and improved the lives of millions of others – You will probably run into someone who is alive and well thanks to the countless Canadians who have supported this cause with their time and donations.
The Sinclair team, called the Sinclair Blue Jays has stayed dedicated to this cause for many years and managed to raise $1070 dollars in May 2019! Many of the employees mentioned that nothing feels better than knowing you’re helping to fund research that’s saving lives and supporting heart disease survivors and their families. The funds raised through the event will help support research into:
- Harnessing the potential of regenerative medicine
- Chasing the next breakthrough in stroke: Safer, faster and better treatment by investigating a new clot-busting drug
- Giving women a second chance: Why women lag behind men in recovering after a heart attack and how to close that gender gap.
- Stopping cardiac arrest before it happens: Uncovering the DNA sequences behind LQTS, a rare condition that puts healthy people at risk of sudden death.
- Investing in your grandchildren’s health: Revealing the root causes of chronic disease to save lives for generations to come.
Amy Gesualdo, Sinclair’s event coordinator said, “It was a great team building activity, giving us an opportunity to laugh and bond with co-workers, and get some heart-pumping exercise in the middle of the day. We hope to hop onto the Big Bike every year, changes lives and ride for research.”
Fundraising and community outreach is a long-standing tradition at Sinclair Technologies. These events are not just seen as a means to raise money, but also a fun way to promote the message and goals of charity and giving back. Going beyond office duties and volunteering for various causes creates a positive working environment, as well as boosts productivity and morale.